[sc34wg3] TMQL Chapter 4, Sections 1 + 2

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Mon Jul 6 19:41:30 EDT 2009

Lars,

Lars Heuer wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I am not sure if it makes sense to discuss the current draft in detail
> since there seems to be attempts to change TMQL "Here, There and
> Everywhere".
>
> Anyway, maybe I can clarify a few points.

Thanks for the reply!

Actually one of the things I want for TMQL is to not see all the work
done to date lost.

Such as re-using the TMRM to define the formal semantics of TMQL,
separate and apart from any implementation.

Which obviously includes relying upon the TMDM <-> TMRM mapping by Lars
Marius Garshol.

Not to mention all the work that has gone into TMQL up to this point.

That is not to say that some aspects of it shouldn't be changed even now.

Simplification or syntax changes that will make it easier to finish and
gain final approval may not be bad things. So far there hasn't been
enough detail offered vis-a-vis the current draft to make an informed
judgment.

Personally I would like to see TMQL on the agenda for a WG 3 meeting in
September, at which time syntax changes, simplifications could be
discussed, followed by a called editor's meeting in Leipzig. Assuming
the formal mapping parts can be completed by the September meeting, it
might be possible to see a nearly final version of TMQL by later this year.

Given the recent flurry of interest, which I assume indicates people
with the time to devote to working on TMQL, that should be doable. Yes?

I will respond separately to your relies on my other comments.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau