[sc34wg3] CTM: Semicolons

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Thu Jan 29 13:05:19 EST 2009

Hi Lars,

[...]
> I don't think this is a good idea. The "end" already terminates the
> template definition. There's no need for anything further.

> The reason Pascal has a semicolon there is that in Pascal a block is
> just another kind of statement. So the reason you need semicolons
> after blocks is that you need them after all statements. That doesn't
> apply in CTM.

Yep, but at TMRA'08 I gave a CTM tutorial [1] and here is the list of
the most asked questions:

- Do we need semicolons at all?
- Can we make semicolons optional?
- If semicolons cannot be optional, shouldn't every statement end with
  a semicolon (template calls, associations etc.)

Since the committee insists on semicolons, we need semicolons and
since the committee thinks we shouldn't make semicolons optional, I
tend to agree that every statement should end with a semicolon just to
be consistent.

Best regards,
Lars
--