[sc34wg3] Fwd: Re: CTM: Semicolons and the "main" identity

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Thu Jan 29 11:32:46 EST 2009

FYI, forgot to include the list, sorry.

Hi Lars,

>> Should this "main" identity require a semicolon?
[...]
> I think this looks dreadful. It's also illogical if you consider the
> semicolons to be terminators (or separators) of statements, because
> this basically separates the identity from the statements.

> I can't think of any reason to do this.

We discussed this at the Topic Maps channel, but now I remember why I
thought it would be more consistent: All subject identifiers, subject
locators and item identifiers require a semicolon, only the very first
identity does not require the semicolon.

Example:

        john isa person;  # No semicolon
        http://en.wikipedia.org/John_Lennon; # Semicolon
        http://de.wikipedia.org/John_Lennon. # Semicolon (or .)