[sc34wg3] CTM: Semicolons

ktrainor ktrainor at ligent.net
Tue Feb 3 18:40:29 EST 2009

Hi Lars,

I recall having been part of a group of people asking for semicolons in a
meeting in Kyoto.  As I recall, the argument made against the addition of
semicolons was that a parser could get along without them.  The argument
that I made for semicolons at the time was that they would be more clear to
a human reader of the code.

Normally, human readers seem to be more intuitive than parser programs.  So,
I am left arguing for fewer pieces of syntax while the parser people are
saying that we need more.  Here, I find myself on the other side of the
argument.

Simply put, I want human readers to understand the code at first glance.
Human readers rarely give code more than a first glance.  So, if they get it
wrong the first time, they may get it wrong forever.

I think this is a fair representation of the argument that I made for
semis.  I hope that you find it helpful.

Kevin

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 18:49:14 +0100, Lars Heuer wrote