[sc34wg3] Fwd: Re: CTM: prefixes and include

Robert Barta rho at devc.at
Wed Jul 9 06:54:26 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 03:25:57PM +0200, Lars Heuer wrote:
> [...]
> >> Your note is correct. The "included" file is invisible for the file
> >> which imports it. If file A includes file B, only the templates from
> >> file B are are visible for file B, the rest (%prefixes etc.) is
> >> invisible.
>
> > Is this somewhere addressed in the current draft?
>
> Thought, that this is implicit. The document which includes the other
> document, does not "see" the prefixes since the other document is
> deserialized and converted into Topic Maps constructs.

Hmm, "include" triggers in me the association that the text is
'included'. Probably an association many people will have. So to avoid
confusion, a note would not hurt.

> [Named wildcards]
> >> Good question, this might be underspecified in the current version. :(
> >> ?xxx in file A should merge with ?xxx in file B, but I am afraid that
> >> they do not merge currently. yyy in file A merges with yyy in file B,
> >> that should work, but I am not sure if it works with named wildcards.
>
> > I somehow had the intuitive feeling that ?xxx in A and B should be NOT
> > merged. The named wildcard thing should be kept as local as possible,
> > IMHO.
>
> IMO they should be merged since the include directive is meant for
> situations where the author controls both files.

I personally would feel safer if a ?xxx in one file and ?xxx in
another would NOT imply the same topic (unless they are merged).

> And the merging-policy supports the proposal to handle the include
> directive like a text replacement (the included file is inserted into
> the current stream). But inserting the included file into the stream
> does not work, therefor we need the item identifiers on topics to let
> the topics in file A and B merge; so the wildcards should be handled
> the same way.

Ok, I am now sufficiently confused :-)

I thought that 'insert' is NOT a textual one (as the prefixes are NOT
included). Or is this just an (the only?) exception?

\rho