[sc34wg3] Making semicolons and newlines equivalent?

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Thu Jan 31 08:34:48 EST 2008

Hi Xuân,

[...]
> When searching for a formal language which is very successful in a
> non-European culture, we can easily find Ruby. As CTM is necessarily a
> formal language, we may be able to copy some syntax-features from Ruby.
> One of them is the equivalence of semicolons and newlines.

Yes, that's why I proposed this:
<http://www.isotopicmaps.org/pipermail/sc34wg3/2008-January/003604.html>

But I wouldn't make the semicolon equivalent with a newline. Why? You
can happily write (and parse):

   http://psi.example.org/beatles/paul isa person has-shoesize(45)
   is-member-of(the-beatles) [...] .

The semicolon is just decoration, nothing more.

From a purist POV I would go without semicolons but if we can merge
the "pro-semicolon" and "against-semicolon" communities, I'd think we
should consider that.

Best regards,
Lars
--