[sc34wg3] CTM: Realistic use cases or toy examples?

Steve Pepper pepper.steve at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 09:38:12 EST 2008

* Lars Heuer

| Please stop degrading me to a programmer, I am still a
| person/human.  ;)

I am well aware that you are only too human ;), so let me try
another approach:

You, Lars, are not representative of the kind of person to whom
I think we should be targeting CTM.

You should take this as a compliment.

I repeat: You should take this as a compliment.

You are very well-versed in computer science, parsers, modern
programming languages, and the like. Most people are not, and
most users of CTM will not be either. Inevitably this means that
your requirements will be different from those of the typical
CTM user.

In order to do a good job as editor of CTM you must therefore
*rise above* your own personal opinion and try to put yourself
in the shoes of the typical CTM user. Perhaps then you will see
why semi-colons and commas make sense. And even if you don't,
you should be willing to defer to non-programmers, such as (the
majority of) those who were present at the working group meeting
in Kyoto.

(You may question whether I am representative of the typical CTM
user. Perhaps I'm not, but no one can accuse me of being
well-versed in computer science, parsers or modern programming
languages ;-)

Steve

--
Conference Chair, Topic Maps 2008