[sc34wg3] Multi-line comments in CTM

Robert Barta rho at devc.at
Fri Jan 18 13:53:37 EST 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 11:24:38AM -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> # Here is a multi-line
> # comment to document
> # some fact or another
> #
>
> So, I guess my question is whether or not a multi-line comment mechanism
> is thought to be necessary for commenting out blocks of material in a
> CTM instance?

No. And many languages have abandoned multiline comments with
start/end tokens. They are also dangerous because it is NOT always
obvious when a comment starts and when one ends. Let's try that with
/* */ :

/* this is clearly a comment */

-----------------------------------

/* this is /* also a comment */
but is this still comment ? */

------------------------------------

/* I like to fool

- "syntax-sensitive editors */"

*/

----------------------------------

And then there is the usual "I do not know how far my comment
reaches" effect:

interesting-topic

/* commenting out uninteresting stuff

.. very long text here