[sc34wg3] start-name production in CTM

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Wed Jan 16 11:49:22 EST 2008

Greetings!

I have been looking over the CTM draft that was submitted for Kyoto and
have a question about the start-name production.

The production for name-start struck me as odd. For example, #x0300 -
#x036F, Combining Diacritical Marks are omitted and then the next list
begins with #x0370, which as of Unicode 5.0, has no character assigned
to it. I curious why the XML definition of Name and NameChar weren't
used by reference? I haven't worked down all the "|"'s yet but I am
curious about the need to repeat what has already been defined
elsewhere. I assume the code for that model must be lying all over the
place.

I asked Lars Heuer about this and he suggested that I post this to the
list. He did say that ":" should not appear in names because it is used
for QName but XML has the same problem. As I recall, XML (4th edition)
simply says that ":" is not allowed in names. Didn't bother to change
the production.

The reason I ask is that I would assume that the code for handling XML
Name and NameChar is probably all over the place. Unless there is some
compelling reason to need a new definition of Name and NameChar.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau