[sc34wg3] CTM for non-SVO languages

Robert Barta rho at devc.at
Wed Feb 6 05:28:26 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:54:08PM +0100, Lars Heuer wrote:
> 1. Kyoto removes a delimiter for type/value pairs.

>    To make CTM readable again (especially for non-SVO languages),
>    Kyoto proposes a semicolon to mark the end of a statement.
>    Otherwise the type/value entities would just 'hang around' without
>    an indication which one is used as type and which is meant as
>    value.

Right. I still do not understand how this move should have improved
the readability for non-SVO languages. With a

   homepage: http://whatever.com

syntax we could achieve the same and with templates ...

>       Lennon
>            - "John Lennon"                # Name
>            Birth-Place(Liverpool)         # Template invocation
>            Place-of-Death(New-York)       # Template invocation
>            homepage: <http://lennon.com/> # Occurrence
>       .

... as the original draft had them already, non-SVOness could be
encoded as well.

\rho

PS: The <> around URIs are just sooo wrong. ;-)