[sc34wg3] CTM: Association and semicolon

Jaeho Lee jaeho at uos.ac.kr
Sun Feb 3 02:50:14 EST 2008

Hello all,
I couldn't find time for my promised 5 min lecture.
I wish someone can help me by letting me know if the followings apply also
in Japanese or Chinese.

(1) Most words in Korean sentences  get cases such as subjective,
objective, possessive cases by attaching distinguished auxiliary words
(postpositional word) to the main word. This is very similar to making  the
possessive case in English by attaching 's to a noun. For example, in
English, the word “boy” with ‘s attached, that is, “boy’s”  becomes a
possessive case. If you are familiar with prepositions such as “in”,
“with” and “by”, you will understand what I mean. Prepositions combined
with an object become adverb for instance in English. In terms of Topic
Maps concept, this is pretty much like specifying role types to roles in
associations.

(2) As you are well aware already, The order of cases in a sentence is
Subjective-Objective-Verb (SOV). The subjective and objective cases are
made mostly by postpositional words as explained in (1)

(3) This is most relevant to the “semicolon” argument. Associations such
as verb, adjective, adverb are only expressed with the associated cases
(roles). That means that it is hard to express the association alone
without the associated role cases. I will show you with an example later.
So typically associations represented as a NOUN in topic maps in Korean. I
guess this applies similarly to Japanese or Chinese. What happens then in
CTM without clear distinguished starting or ending mark in a sentence is a
series of all NOUNS. By just looking at one noun in the middle of a CTM
sentence, it is really hard to tell whether that noun is there as an
association or a topic. Of course with clever line breaking this problem
can be reduced, but it is apt to make a single mistake that will lead to
total misunderstanding.

Let me show you how this works, with an example, “Pucci was born in
Florence”. This English sentence will be translated roughly as follows.

Pucci was born in Florence (English) →  Pucci[neun] Florence[eseo]
Birth(noun)-to-verb-variation[notda]

The words in […] are postpositional words.

Representation in Topic Maps will be roughly as follows.

	Pucci born-in Florence.  → Pucci “Birth-Place” Florence

Note that I used a noun form “Birth-Place” for the “born-in”
association. If I used the original representation, “Birth(noun)-to-verb-
variation[notda]” for the “born-in” association, it wouldn't make sense
at all and would cause a lot of confusion, because of the SVO order(2) and
the case-assigning rule(1).

I am not sure if my “lecture” was clear enough for you to get the idea.
Please feel free to ask me if you need more explanations.
Thank you.

---
 Jaeho Lee
 The University of Seoul