[sc34wg3] TMQL: Function invocations and names parameters -- Proposal to drop or change them

Lars Heuer heuer at semagia.com
Mon Dec 1 05:20:58 EST 2008

Hi all,

A function invocation with named parameters [37] looks similar to a
predicate invocation [58].
This leads to the question if a query processor can distinguish a
function invocation from a predicate invocation in any case (i.e. if a
function name is equal to an association type)?

I suggest to drop named parameters (even if I love named parameters /
keyword assignments) or to make named parameters look different from
predicate invocations.
In an unpublished Topic Maps notation I use "=>" to assign parameters to values.

The TMQL example from 4.12

    nr-accounts (owner: "James Bond")

would look like

    nr-accounts(owner => "James Bond")

which makes it distinguishable from a predicate invocation.

Best regards,
Lars

--
Semagia