[sc34wg3] CTM vs. TMQL: namespace prefixes

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Wed Nov 21 08:47:54 EST 2007

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

>> Not a big issue, just a reminder that CTM and TMQL should use the same
>> (default) namespace prefixes.
>>
>> For XML Schema Datatypes (http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#):
>>
>>   - TMQL: "xsd"
>>   - CTM:  "xs"
>>
>> I like the "xs" prefix more (shorter, used by XQuery), but that does
>> not matter; we need a just a common prefix.
>
> Let's go with "xs".

Sorry for belated comment, but other things in past months distracted me
from watching TM progress more closely.

Why CTM doesn't use

http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes

namespace for XML Schema datatypes? It is quite common to use prefix
"xsd" for this datatypes only namespace and "xs" for "full" XML Schema
namespace.

Such usage (of namespaces, not prefixes) is also suggested in XML Schema
specificatio, part 2, section 3.1
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#namespaces):

"3.1 Namespace considerations

The ·built-in· datatypes defined by this specification are designed to
be used with the XML Schema definition language as well as other XML
specifications. To facilitate usage within the XML Schema definition
language, the ·built-in· datatypes in this specification have the
namespace name:
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema

To facilitate usage in specifications other than the XML Schema
definition language, such as those that do not want to know anything
about aspects of the XML Schema definition language other than the
datatypes, each ·built-in· datatype is also defined in the namespace
whose URI is:
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes"

So unless I'm missing something obvious, CTM should use
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes namespace and xsd prefix.
(The same approach is used also by RELAX NG compact syntax, for example.)

HTH,

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz