[sc34wg3] tmrm-map-inferred-information

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Fri Nov 2 08:06:36 EDT 2007

Greetings!

Well, since Lars took the time to post the mapping issues I thought I
should at least look at them. ;-)

> The question of how inferred information shows up in the mapping, and
> how this affects querying, is very complex and needs to be considered
> more thoroughly. One wants to query with and without inferred
> information, and the difficulty is to see exactly what is needed, and
> how to achieve this.
Apologies for not being in Leipzig and so this question may have already
been discussed/answered:

I assume that the only inferencing that we are concerned with is that of
supertype-subtype? Since it is transitive it is possible to have
relationships that are not explicitly represented in the topic map.

Which means that a processor the supports inferencing will have to deal
with loops. (TMDM 7.3, Note 1)

And, "...should be interpreted that the sets of all instances for all
types in the loop are the same."

I am having trouble with that part of Note 1. Does it mean that all the
instances are instances of all the types, even though the note goes on
to say that does not imply that the types are the same?

In other words, if there is a loop, I could infer that some instance is
an instance of multiple types?

I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to make sure I was
understanding the issue properly.

Hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Acting Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, OpenDocument Format (OASIS, ISO/IEC 26300)