[sc34wg3] Semantics of subject, topic type, etc

Murray Altheim murray06 at altheim.com
Tue May 30 18:51:21 EDT 2006

Quoting Lars Marius Garshol <larsga at ontopia.net>:

> At the Seoul meeting yesterday I presented a formal definition of the
> semantics of key terms in TMDM. For those who want to see it, go to:
>
>   http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/40.html

Lars Marius,

In your blog entry "PSIs for Topic Maps constructs" you state:

   "One thing that's lacking in the current set of Topic Maps
    standards is defined identifiers for the Topic Maps constructs,
    like subject, topic, association, etc."

I don't follow this at all. As you know, with the publication of
XTM 1.0 in December of 2000 there were PSIs for all Topic Map
constructs. You may feel the need to create PSIs for the new
documents but the statement above is not correct. We've since
the beginning of XTM had a set of PSIs:

    XML Topic Maps (XTM) 1.0: TopicMaps.Org Specification.
    2.3.2 XTM Mandatory Published Subject Indicators
    http://topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/#psi-mandatory

Revisionist history or did you mean something else? Your proposed
set seems merely a revision of the existing ones, updated for the
TMDM. Obviously a necessary and good thing.

Murray

Murray Altheim <murray06 at altheim.com>                              ===  = =

       In the evening
       The rice leaves in the garden
       Rustle in the autumn wind
       That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu