[sc34wg3] <mergeMap/> and security

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Sat Mar 25 10:46:54 EST 2006

Lars,

Lars Heuer wrote:
<snip>

>>It would certainly be possible to design a "safe" interchange syntax
>>that puts no burden on implementers to make some sensible choices but it
>>would not be terribly interesting or perhaps even useful.
>>

>IMO we but the burden to the users of TM apps not necessarily to the
>implementators. If "mergeMap" is some kind of "optional" or "take with
>care" thing parnoid implementators may choose to NOT process it by
>default, others may process it by default and the third may offer an
>option to process it. Other may offer a fixed "mergeMap" processing
>level, and some implementations may offer a configurable "mergeMap"
>processing level... etc.
>
>Doesn't these scenarios defeat the purpose of the "mergeMap" element
>in the first place?

Well, hmmm....,

What do you think the "purpose of the "mergeMap" element [was] in the
first place?"

That may be where we are missing each other or at least is a good
starting place.

And how do you see that as fitting into a notion of an "interchange" syntax?

Note that I am assuming that by "interchange" we actually mean
"anonymous interchange," that is no further communication with the
source of the file is needed for me to use the file that I have been
given. That is it contains all the information necessary for me to make
use of it. It does not, however, predetermine the use to which it may be
put.

With that observation, what is the purpose of the "mergeMap" element?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau