[sc34wg3] Possible TMRM issue

Jack Park jackpark at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 18:22:10 EST 2006

Nope. The latest TMRM makes reference to a "Legand", as in the kind of
"legand" you find on street maps. You know, where you go to find out which
symbols stand for streets, highways, dirt roads, distance measures, that
sort of thing. The TMRM has adapted that language to name an object (Legand)
where subject identity metrics for the specific subject map are declared.
In TopicSpaces, an application is a kind of legand layered on top of a core,
um, legand. I am interpreting the TMRM to allow the notion of Legand to be
extensible. As I understand the TMRM (and we are all bound to interpret it
in different ways, I suppose), the process of merging allows for the
creation of a new Legand which is somehow a union of the legands of two
other maps which are asked to merge. How legands are to be represented
remains to be developed. As I understand the TMRM, it works very hard (sorry
for the anthromorphicism here) to remain ontology neutral, so much so that
even declaring a serialization or a legand architecture remains undeclared.
I think that's valuable in the beginning.

Jack