[sc34wg3] Semantics of subject, topic type, etc

Steve Pepper pepper at ontopia.net
Fri Jun 2 13:54:08 EDT 2006

Murray,

You might like to get up to speed on the latest work in SC34 before claiming
that Lars Marius' definitions lack a formally underpinning. You could
usefully start with the following:

Topic Maps Data Model (undergoing final ballot):
  http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0696.pdf

Topic Maps Reference Model (moving toward FCD):
  http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0710.pdf

Topic Maps Query Language (moving toward FCD):
  http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0731.pdf

Topic Maps Constraint Language (moving toward FCD but still a bit patchy):
  http://www.jtc1sc34.org/repository/0668.pdf

The blog in question used, as Lars Marius noted, an ad-hoc solution. The
implication, perhaps too subtle for those not involved in the on-going work,
being that the real formal definitions would use TMQL, which in turn will be
based on the TMRM.

As you will see, the world has moved on since 2001. So, please, let's spend
our energy constructively. This forum is for people who wish to participate
in the work of WG3, not quarrel about the interpretation of the past.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Ontopian
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3