[sc34wg3] Removing added scope from <mergeMap>

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:02:46 -0000

I already proposed to the editors that if they wanted to remove mergeMap
from XTM, then they should also define a separate "packaging" syntax and
standard processing rules that would allow a set of topic map merging
operations to be declared in an interchangeable form. An "XTM-Package"
syntax if you like. They didn't seem to be too happy with that suggestion,
and to be honest I think it's a bit of a fudge, but I thought I should raise
it in this open forum too.

IMO unless the ability to declare topic map merges is provided in some
format (whether it is part of XTM 2.0 or a separate syntax), the next
version of ISO 13250 will lose a valuable piece of functionality that is
present in the current version. And this would be a grave mistake.

Cheers

Kal