[sc34wg3] Removing added scope from <mergeMap>

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:47:24 -0000

Source locators (item identifiers...what ever) are a way of tracking
provenance, but only at the level of the source topic map. Scope allows =
you
to track provenance at the level of the *source* itself - e.g. "This
statement is made by the BBC".

As Murray says - we can go around this argument for days, but the fact =
is
that this is a valid use of scope that is being disabled by this change =
mergeMap, and not only that, but people are using it in XTM 1.0

If the editors feel that there is a strong reason for removing the =
feature,
then the onus should be on them to explain it to the satisfaction of the
community - not the other way round.

Cheers,

Kal