[sc34wg3] Editors' drafts of TMDM and XTM 1.1

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:14:27 -0000

> > Ugh. So now when I merge in another XTM document I have no
> > ability to un-merge it or determine where a Topic comes from?
>
> Yes. In the same way as you do not know whether the number 42 is the
> result of 21 + 21 or 23 + 19, merging maps should be just that.

21, 23, 19 and 42 are mathematically concepts that are not (normally)
disputed 2+2 is always 4. Most topic maps consist of assertions that *can*
be disputed and there are very real requirements for being able to
distinguish what Party A asserts in their topic map and what Party B asserts
in their topic map both pre- and post-merge. IMO this cannot be ignored by
the topic map merging process and has to be supported both in the definition
of the merging process and in the representation of a merge directive in
XTM.

Cheers

Kal