[sc34wg3] Topic names and occurrences in the TMDM

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:31:32 +0100

Hi Murray, Jan

I think that we have two separate but related questions here. To paraphrase
(and correct me if I am wrong)

1) Murray asks why a topic name can be treated as a specialized form of a
topic occurrence.
2) Jan asks why, if a topic name can be treated as a specialized form of a
topic occurrence, we need two separate concepts in the data model.

To address Murray's question first. In my opinion, topic occurrences are
used to convey "information related to the topic". The name "occurrence" is
mis-leading because it makes most English-speakers think that a topic
occurrence can only point to where the topic occurs in resources. So, a
topic occurrence on the topic "Kal" could be of type "CV" and point (via a
URI value) to some suitable HTML resource on the web. Equally, a topic
occurrence on the topic "Kal" could be of type "Age" with a literal value
"34".

I believe that this view is supported by the standard which defines a "topic
occurrence" as:
"Information that is specified as relevant to a given subject." (ISO
13250:2002 section 3.28)

The TMDM says (somewhat more cryptically):
"An occurrence is a representation of a relationship between a subject and
an information resource"
(http://www.isotopicmaps.org/sam/sam-model/#sect-occurrence)

So if a topic occurrence can be used to convey information *about* a topic
(and is not just restricted to pointing to resources where the topic occurs
in the resource content), then perhaps it is more understandable that one
could claim that a topic name is a special form of information about a
topic. It is a label - it has the same relationship as a term does to a
concept in classification - and so you could deconstruct this to say "a
topic name is a label for a topic, the label of a topic is information about
the subject, and therefore a topic name is a topic occurrence"

Which brings me to Jan's point: IMO, the distinction between a label for a
topic and any other information about a topic is a fundamental part of basic
topic map semantics - to be able to label our concepts is such an important
aspect of dealing with them, that it is something which absolutely has to
have a consistent representation in the data model.

Is a topic name information relating to the subject that the topic
represents? Yes, but its special information. Could we have just made a PSI
for a special occurrence type "Name"? Maybe, but issues abound around
variant names. However, the fact is that since inception the distinction
between topic name and topic occurrence has been in the standard and (IMO)
is a useful distinction to have that we would be foolish to remove.

Cheers,

Kal