[sc34wg3] Topic names and occurrences in the TMDM

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:58:09 +0200

Murray,

On Sep 29, 2005, at 6:56 PM, M.Altheim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a question that came to mind whilst reading the section
> on Topic names in section 5.4 "Topic name items" of the TMDM:
>
>    [...]
>    Essentially, a base name is a specialized kind of occurrence.
>
> To my mind, names are not a specialized kind of occurrence at
> all -- names, occurrences and roles played in associations are
> the three kinds of topic characteristics. Topic names and
> occurrences are peers in that taxonomy; names are not a subclass
> of occurrence, which would imply that a name is an occurrence of
> the Topic, not a characteristic of it. That doesn't make sense
> to me.
>
> Clarification, please...

Since TMDM suggested practice seems to be to express attributes of
subjects (age, height, eye-color, department number etc.) as
occurrences and since a name is just a special kind of attribute it
seemms logical to say that a name is a special kind of occurrence.

Subject Indicators and Subject Address are then, BTW, also just
occurrences.

I have allways wondered what the benefit of four constructs for
things that are just semantic variations of a basic functinality
could be....seems awkward to have to implement basically the same
thing four times....

Oh well...does anybody care?

Jan