[sc34wg3] www.topicmaps.com (and topicmaps.org)

Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:17:18 +0200

* Jack Park

| The heading "What XTM is" would have gone a long way to clarify
| issues you raise. "XTM is not topic maps" goes not even an inch in a
| positive direction; if anything, it steps backwards. Murray
| apparently saw that. So did I.

Jack, call me dumb if you like, but I don't understand what you mean.
How does the heading step backwards? And what is it that does the
stepping? It sounds like there's something that bothers you about
this, but I can't for the life of me see what. Please help me
understand. I'd like to know whether you're just misunderstanding me,
or whether I really need to change that blog entry to clear things up.
But before you've helped me I can't really do anything other than
worry that something's wrong with that entry.

| Regarding your notion that the "fighting" (whatever that is) has
| subsided, I suspect not, and I don't think I am alone in such
| suspicions. For instance, I was accused of giving misinformation in
| a speech recently, but I have it on good evidence that this was not
| the case at all.

Jack, I don't know what you're talking about here. I have some ideas,
but you're not really being very explicit, probably on purpose. I'd
quite like to hear what you mean, because if it really was a case of
the old fights I think we should all agree it was unfortunate, and if
it was just a misunderstanding I think we should clear it up. Either
way it would be good if we could put this behind us instead of having
people feel they've been treated unfairly.

| People say things in strange ways. They might mean one thing, but
| what they say carries potential interpretations which are far from
| what they may have meant. [...]

Indeed!

| Topic maps, in theory, are supposed to bridge such potential
| interpretations and solidify world views around what any speaker
| means in the first place. It seems ironic that those who call
| themselves topic mappers are, sometimes, the least able to see this
| or, worse, behave (speak) in ways appropriate to bridging
| heterogeneous interpretations.

:-)