[sc34wg3] www.topicmaps.com (and topicmaps.org)

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:07:01 -0400

At the risk of violating the SC34 Chairman's position of neutrality, I =
think
that there's some overreacting to Lars Marius' observations. I don't see =
them
as divisive.

I don't think we're in danger of presenting a picture of disunity to the
world outside WG3. Compared to the battles of past days in what is now =
WG1,
the current WG3 is the epitome of harmony.

Speaking as an individual participant in WG3, I was actually glad to see =
LMG
say "XTM is not Topic Maps". In certain corners of WG3 I had heard =
grumblings
that a certain company was pushing an identity between TMs and XTM and =
that
the current direction of most of the standards was being warped to fit =
XTM. I
like XTM; I do most of my development in XTM. But I realize it's just a
serialization, and a serialization with certain biases at that. I've =
kept
pushing on some in the TMRM community to get their act together so that =
the
world could see, through our official publications, that "XTM is not =
Topic
Maps". Now that someone besides the TMRM crew has said that, I think we
should be willing to accept it as a general position in WG3. If we do =
accept
that, then we can quite talking about it and go back to developing =
things.

Jim Mason