[sc34wg3] TMQL, State of Affairs

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 24 May 2005 21:23:10 +0200

On May 24, 2005, at 8:01 PM, Martin Bryan wrote:

> explain why TMDM is so radically different from every other
> data model in the universe

Dunno what the significance of 'radically' is here. When data models
are different
they are different, eh? So the QL of data model A does not work for
data model B.

IMHO it is the natural way to go to define a new QL if you define a
new data model.
The burdon to provide a 'mapping' of a given QL of datamodel A to
data model B is
on the one who argues against the neccessity of a new QL...I'd say.

Example:

SELECT a1,a2,a3 FROM r WHERE a1 = 'foo'

is the SQL 'version' of the application of the relational operators
RESTRICT and EXPAND
to r. (See Date's classic book for details on this)

If you can 'map' the rel algebra expression that underlies the given
SQL statement to the
structural abstraction of data that TMDM provides, *then* you can
apply the SQL statement to
TMDM instances. But only then.

Jan