[sc34wg3] TMQL, State of Affairs

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 23 May 2005 23:10:49 +0200

On May 23, 2005, at 10:32 PM, Jan Algermissen wrote:

> On May 23, 2005, at 10:21 PM, Martin Bryan wrote:
>

>>  why yet another query language is needed, and why XQuery or
>> somehting based on the tried and tested ISO-standardized SQL
>> approach would
>> not do just as well.
>>

> Hi Martin,
>
> a query language is neccessarily defined in terms of an underlying
> data model (data model in
> the sense that the relational model is a data model and not in the
> sense 'domain model').
>
> Xquery is based on the DOM (XML heads correct me please), SQL is
> based on the relational model
> (on relational calculus and relational algebra).
>
> Topic Maps [1] are a completely different data model so you need a
> new query language.

Hmm...another way to say this is:

If you can apply relational algebra or calculus to a TMDM-style graph
you can use SQL as
a TMDM query language. But yoou can't, because TMDM style topic maps
are graphs and not
collections of relations.

Similar for XQuery, because XQuery operates on a tree and not on a
graph.

HTH,

Jan