[sc34wg3] Topic Maps Reference Model posted (new draft)

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:32:01 +0100

Murray's excellent post reminded me of some Zen story about the wise man and his evolving
perception of what mountains are or are not. Could not remember the exact text nor author,
but browsing around, found out something close to it at
http://members.tripod.com/~SpEd2work/AllThingsZen.html

which attributes to Ch'ing Yuan Wei-hsin the following questioning about identity of
things in the world

	Thirty years ago, before I began the study of Zen,
	I said, 'Mountains are mountains, waters are waters.'
	After I got insight into the truth of Zen
	through the instructions of a good master,
	I said, 'Mountains are not mountains, waters are not waters.'
	But now, having attained the abode of final rest,
	I say, 'Mountains are really mountains, waters are really waters.'

	Are the three understandings the same or different?

I'm sure Murray will agree that Zen has brought about long ago some definitive views
concerning relationships between human languages/representations/perceptions and the real
world,
considering the latter as being artificially divided by the former ...

Bernard

<snip> a lot of things I basically agree upon </snip>