[sc34wg3] Subject Locators

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:27:58 +0200

On Jun 13, 2005, at 10:00 PM, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Jan Algermissen
> |
> | When you have a resource that has the intended semantics of some
> | person 'Jim Smith' and
> | NOT some kind of document about him;
> |
> | what is the meaning of
> |
> | <topic id="t1">
> |    <subjectIdentity>
> |      <resourceRef xlink:href="http://example.org/persons/
> Jim_Smith"/>
> |    </subjectIdentity>
> | </topic>
> |
> | then?
> |
> | The topic represents Jim Smith - right?
>
> No, it does not. It represents what you get by dereferencing the URI,

Ah. That is a sound statement, compatible with HTTP. I like it.

By definition what you get when dereferencing a URI is a
representation. So
the topic represents the (one) representation of the resource
identified by the
URI in the <resourceRef's> href.

> which can't be Jim Smith, but has to be an information resource of
> some kind.

If 'information resource' == representation. Fine. Must be since HTTP/
REST
defines that what you get isa represenation.

Agree?

And XTM/TMDM is deliberately ignoring that HTTP content negotiation
(and time)
might lead to different representations over time, yes? Sometimes I
will end
up with an HTML document representing Jim Smith another time a JPEG
image.
(no problem at all, just want to make sure we agree)

Jan