[sc34wg3] Merging/Viewing subject proxies

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:26:24 -0400

Jan,

Jan Algermissen wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2005, at 8:14 PM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>
>> So, would an application with a limited (they all are in some  sense)
>> disclosure and highly optimized application for MARC records  prove
>> feasibility?
>

> If you are thinking of TMRM implementations that only support a fixed
> set of disclosures and do not enable the definition of user defined
> disclosures (IOW: that do not support other semantics than the fixed
> ones) then the situation is entirely different and an implementatuion
> doable.
>
> OTH, why would you want to use Topic Maps if you know the semantics
> up front? Since you know there will never be any other semantics in
> the domain your tool supports, why not use a relational database in
> the first place. After all, nailed down schemas is what they are good
> at! While schema evolution and integration issues are the primary use
> case for Topic Maps (and the only/most compelling business case for
> them, BTW).

Not sure how you got from "fixed set of disclosures" to "do not enable
the definition of user defined disclosure"? A fixed set of disclosures
sets the operations that an application will support, doesn't say
anything about what a user may or may not do in that context.

Yes, updates in views, according to Date are not correctly supported in
the SQL standard, much less any known SQL product. (Date, 8th edition,
page 300, ftnt 2)

I think you may be missing the difference between a disclosure, which
set the parameters for what can be done, as opposed to what a user does
in that context.

The TMDM for example sets forth a data model and provides rules for
processing instances of that data model. It in no way limits what users
can say in the context of that data model, save for staying within the
bounds of the data model.

I don't envision other disclosures being any different in that respect.

Closer? Farther away?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick