[sc34wg3] CTM: The arguments for standardization

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:08:50 +0100

Lars Marius,

I'm broadly in favour of developing a common compact syntax for topic
maps. To be honest, I don't really see the need for it to go through an
ISO process, but thats another story. Accepting that this is to be done
by WG3 anyway, I have a couple of issues that perhaps you can address.

1) If TMQL does not support update using XTM, will that alienate those
users who prefer XTM to a compact syntax ? How much effort would it be
for TMQL to support both syntaxes for update operations ?

2) I am assuming that your statement that:

"implementor who wants to minimize the investment
would probably do well to implement CTM and drop XTM"

is a bit of rhetoric rather than a serious suggestion from the editor of
the XTM standard. Surely if an implementor wants to support ISO 13250,
then the implementor MUST support XTM. After all, this is all about
information interchange and I think it would be highly damaging if you
could claim to be a conformant topic map application without supporting
import and export of XTM. So my question is will ISO be recommending one
syntax and deprecating the other for interchange ? If not, how will
consistent interchange between implementations be maintained ?

Cheers,

Kal