[sc34wg3] Compact syntax requirement question

Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:19:01 +0200

* Murray Altheim

| [referencing topics via <subjectIndicatorRef/> and <resourceRef/>]
|
| This does not reliably access a single <topic> element due to possible
| merging actions.

No, but it does reliably address a topic item, and in the resulting
TMDM instance there is no way to distinguish what kind of reference
was used. In other words: for all topic map purposes it is perfectly
satisfactory.

| And one should note that an ID link is an XML-level syntactic link
| -- we cannot rely on a Topic Map engine (obviously) to return a
| <topic> element based on a query of the contents of
| <subjectIndicatorRef/> or <resourceRef/> elements. Yes, they're
| useful, but if one is trying to query a specific <topic> element at
| the XML level in a graph structure (i.e., a bag), there's no
| substitute for an ID link.

At the XML level there is not, no.

* Lars Marius Garshol

| If we add a note that it must be possible to refer to topics using
| only IDs, does that cover the requirements you are referring to, or
| is there more?

* Murray Altheim

| No, that is it.

Good!

| I would be interested to hear Kal's comments on this subject, as I
| know of his experience from within the code of TM4J and this I
| believe would be very helpful in making a determination over the
| correct disposition of this issue. I realize there are others who
| also could provide such guidance, but I know of Kal's in particular.

What's the issue you want guidance on?