xml:id RE: [sc34wg3] Compact syntax requirement question

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:07:11 +0200

Lars Marius

Thanks for the clarifications. Just a bottom line, which does not need answer, just
thinking aloud.

* Lars Marius Garshol

> To be frank I find this discussion utterly baffling.
> New syntaxes are created all the time,
> and nobody seems to be bothered in the slightest by this.

Actually, I at least, for one, am really bothered by this, and it goes far beyond the
issue of CTM vs XTM, Text vs XML, or TM vs RDF, or whatever ... I can't resist comparing
evolution of IT languages with evolution of mathematical language(s). Over the last
centuries, mathematicians has achieved a tremendous effort of standardisation and
simplification of their tools. Agreed, full standardisation is not complete, but there are
not dozens of syntaxes to express any given mathematical concept. Setting a new notation
for integrals or polynoms, because the available one does not fit one's requirements, is
not a frequent practice and certainly not a recommended one. Engineers and scientists are
today provided with a rich, stable, sustainable lingua franca, for which you do not need
to learn new syntax every six months (although the initial learning curve is steep,
agreed).

I wish I could see a similar trend in IT, and I'm not sure I'm seeing it, to say the
least, despite claims everywhere of "semantic interoperability". Indeed new languages and
syntaxes are created all the time, with the correlative waste of time and energy to
invent, specify, promote, understand, learn, build applications on top of them, compare
and translate into each other ... Languages life cycle tends to be dangerously similar to
the one of software and hardware which support them. The less young among us can name
dozens of languages learnt and forgotten. I've thrown away myself a lot of such obsolete
stuff, hardware, software and supporting language altogether, such as BASIC programs
recorded on audio cassettes. Don't laugh, that was only 20 years ago ... But my maths
hand-written courses I have preciously saved on paper over 35 years, and last year passed
them to my son who is now studying physics. He found them readable, up-to-date and useful.
At some point in the early 80's I wanted to migrate this paper legacy into some more
compact digital technology. I'm glad I did not find the time to do it, because it would be
all lost now.

Sustainable-IT is yet to invent ...

Bernard Vatant
Mondeca Knowledge Engineering