[sc34wg3] Reducing redundant constructs

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 05:49:45 -0400

Lars,

One of the issues where we did not follow the T+ model was on
"identical" subject proxies.

I am not sure what "identical" means outside of a Subject Map Disclosure
that says what is "identical" and provides a process for viewing
multiple subject proxies as one subject proxy.

In support of that position, Newcomb and I talked about the TMDM, which
clearly states the test(s) for when information items will be considered
for merging.

In other words, there is no general "identical" construct language in
the TMDM that permits merging of information items. All such merging is
governed by specific rules.

One advantage of the TMDM approach is that it provides for the handling
of identifiers for the "different" (in terms of instances) information
items, for example.

On the whole the notion of "identical" outside of a definition of
"identical" just seems real problematic to me.

Since the TMDM does not follow the generic "identical" approach and
specifies rules for all such cases, I was wondering what your take is on
the generic "identical" approach.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--