[sc34wg3] Fwd: [httpRange-14] Resolved

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:03:19 +0200

* Jan Algermissen

| interesting news from httpRange-14 below.
|
| Would be interesting to apply that to subject address vs. subject
| identifier issues.

* Lars Marius

| It just struck me that this fits quite nicely into the subject
| identifier vs subject locator distinction in topic maps:
|
|   - If you know that X is the subject identifier of Y that means X
|     identifies Y, but does not locate it. (That is, resolving X will
|     not produce Y itself.)
|
|   - If you know that X is the subject locator of Y that means X
|     identifies and locates Y.
|
| So as far as I can tell, even the terminology fits quite well.

Really? The whole thing seems to me to be totally at odds with
the subject identifier approach:

| |   a) If an "http" resource responds to a GET request with a
| |      2xx response, then the resource identified by that URI
| |      is an information resource;

A subject identifier that follows the OASIS recommendations for
published subjects *will* give a 2xx response because it will be
an http URL that resolves to a subject indicator. That subject
indicator will usually indicate a subject that is *not* an
information resource.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>