[sc34wg3] Amsterdam meeting: New dates?

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:24:59 +0100

Mgmt summary:

Contains important information about a possible change of
dates for the next meeting of WG3. Please read carefully.

--

The latest news on the Amsterdam meeting is that the SC34
plenary will take place at 13.00 on Sunday May 22nd. Ken

Our meeting was originally planned for Friday-Sunday, and
then extended to Monday. This means we need to find rooms for
the Friday and Saturday, at least.

Last year we were very kindly hosted for three days by Reed
Elsevier but they were unable to accomodate us during the
weekend. I have another contact in Amsterdam that may also
be able to offer us a meeting room, but again probably not
on a Saturday or Sunday.

Given the above, my question is the following: Should we
consider moving the whole WG3 meeting so that it overlaps
more with XTech? Say, Sunday to Wednesday. That would greatly
increase our chance of being able to get our meeting rooms
sponsored, if not by IDEAlliance then someone else.

Our reason for not wanting to too much overlap has been that
some WG3 members are affiliated with vendors who exhibit at
the conference, but so far none of the vendors whose employees
participate in WG3 are on the list of exhibitors for XTech...
and I don't know of any who intend to get on that list, so
that particular issue would seem to go away.

Of course some WG3 members might be giving presentations, but
strictly speaking that doesn't require an absence from the
meeting of more than a couple of hours or so. I think that's
something we could live with.

Is there anybody who would have a major problem if we moved
the meeting to May 22-25? If so, PLEASE SAY SO IMMEDIATELY,
otherwise I will continue to try to arrange meeting rooms
with those dates as a possible alternative.

In particular, would all WG3 editors PLEASE CONFIRM AT ONCE
that such a change of date would not adversely affect their
ability to attend the meeting.

Thanks,

Steve

--