[sc34wg3] XTM 1.1 issues: MergeMap

Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:07:31 +0100

* Murray Altheim

> I don't think of <mergeMap> as authoring, but a component in
> modularization.

The point is that if you are modularizing in files it must be because
you are authoring in files, at which point it does become an
authoring issue. If you weren't authoring in files, why would you
ever send anyone multiple files? You'd just create a file containing
exactly what you wanted to send (by some suitable form of magic) and
send that.

> [...]
> as I'd then have to perform a pre-merge for delivery and lose
> the modularity, a feature I'm sure is appreciated by those who
> don't want the entirety of the package, or want to reuse various
> components.

If they could extract the subsets they wanted, without these having
to preexist in the form of files, this would not be an issue. Of
course, I know they don't have an easy way to do this now, and that's
why I'm for keeping this.

--
Lars Marius Garshol, Ontopian                     http://www.ontopia.net
+47 98 21 55 50                                   http://