[sc34wg3] RE: Topic Maps Reference Model posted (new draft)

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 00:46:20 +0200

Patrick, and all

Late response also ... those things need maturation time anyway.

Basically I agree with all your comments and answers, and I just re-read the document just
to figure the answer to :

> Curious what part of the document you see as saying that "...*subject
> identity* as something that could, at least in theory, be defined in
> some absolute way."

Actually, there is only one word in one sentence, added certainly to a lot of background
assumptions from my part. I quoted this sentence already, from the introduction:

"If we want to gather *all* the information about a given subject, but the ways in which
the subject is indicated are ontologically, culturally, and/or technologically diverse,
our task is only possible if we know what those ways are, and how they work."

I stress the incriminated *all* which led me to a wrong interpretation. In my maths-washed
brain, *all* rings like the universal quantifier, like in  : (For all x) (x < x + 1). I
guess if "all the information" is replaced by something like "a lot of distributed and
disparate information", or "as much as possible information from various sources", the
universal meaning I've inferred would disappear.

I think that's all, folks

Cheers

Bernard

Bernard Vatant