[sc34wg3] Web arch use of 'information resource'

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:03:10 +0200

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Jan Algermissen
> |
> | I just learned that the term 'information resource' is used by Web
> | architecture, too and has a different definition there as it has in
> | Topic Maps land.
> |
> | "The term Information Resource refers to resources that convey
> | information. Any resource that has a representation is an
> | information resource." [1]
>
> This is really good news, because I think the definitions are
> equivalent. TMDM defines "information resource" as:
>
>   a resource that can be represented as a sequence of bytes, and thus
>   could potentially be retrieved over a network
>
> In short, a resource that has representation.

Beware that Web arch does not limit 'information resource' to
resource that are abstraction of 'documents'. If I used
http://foo/bar/jan as a URI for me and if I provide
representations when you dereference that URI, http://foo/bar/jan
would be an information resource. The URI refers to *me*, not
the bits and bytes of the representation of me or to the.

> | Not that this is a problem, but I wanted to make us aware of it.
>
> It's good that you did, but as far as I can tell we don't need to do
> anything about it. I wasn't aware of the WebArch definition, but if
> they are the same then that's really good.

I don;t agree that they are the same, but I agree that nothing has to
be done anyhow, just a matter of termonology and recent discussions
on www-webarch-comment show that the term might be changed there anyhow.

Jan