[sc34wg3] new working draft of 13250-5 (Reference Model)

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:21:30 +0100

Robert Barta wrote:

>     That, by itself is ok, but then I ask where is the
>     topicmappishness?

My personal opinion is that topicmappishness is primarily a capability
of the datamodel's structural abstraction: the unlimited ability to merge the
primary structural element (called proxy in the TMRM). This is for
me the major distinction between Topic Maps and RDF and the relational
model. RDF is capable of merging but only at the cost of restricting itself
to a single key (nodes only merge if their URI is *equal*). The relational
model only supports merging of tuples that are equal (and of course in the
same relation).

> Specifically the unique way how TMs is connecting
>     things with letting them play roles?

I do not think that this is so unique. You get the same with the relational model
with key references.

(I just thought to throw this in, no intention to start an argument).

Jan