[sc34wg3] new working draft of 13250-5 (Reference Model)

Robert Barta sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:02:03 +1000

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 06:46:11PM +0100, Jan Algermissen wrote:
> Robert Barta wrote:
>
> >     - is the topicMapAppName relevant? Whenever I define a name, I also
> >       have to define the namespace the name is in.
>
> Could you expand on this? What do you mean by 'relevant' and
> 'define a name'?

Whenever I have 'thingies', let's say children, then I can choose to
give them names, so that I can refer to them in a larger context.  If
I have potentially several children, then the names come from a
namespace which is used in above context.

The name www.bond.edu.au is a name in DNS-context, the name
LWP::Simple is a name in Perl package context, etc.

> By asking if the topicMapAppName was relevant, are you asking if it
> could be taken out of the BNF? How?

If the name of a TMA is never used inside a TMA to refer to it, why
have it then? If a TM infrastructure manages several TMAs, that might
provide naming for them, but this is outside the spec.

The sandblasting \rho