[sc34wg3] Illustrating SIDPs

Ann Wrightson sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 11 May 2004 10:37:19 +0100

I think this latest discussion may be more about another basic difference in
world-view than about TMRM:

Patrick said:

>Formalism would help, but only if we also have agreed upon terms to
describe what
>appears in the formalism.

Whereas other participants see formalisms as a natural way to disambiguate
natural language terms and so reach a more precise common understanding.

It seems to me that both are necessary, neither is primary, and the way
forward is to go back & forth between words (that are less precise and
semantically/semiotically richer) and formal notation (that is more precise,
semantically dependent on definition (usually a mix of formal and natural
language), and semiotically much poorer).

I hope this is helpful...

Ann W.