[sc34wg3] Goal of the restatement

Steve Pepper sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:09:16 +0100

* Patrick:

| I am not playing a game but engaged
| in a serious attempt to make sure the restated ISO 13250 captures all
| the power of the original. Regret that you see my efforts in some other
| light.

Patrick, I think this statement might help us get closer to the
heart of our disagreements.

You say that your goal is "to make sure the restated ISO 13250
captures all the power of the original." I believe that you are
sincere in this. However, the arguments you are putting forward,
and the objections you are making to the TMDM, tell another story.

Take merging rules, for example. The original ISO 13250 has
*absolutely no mechanism* for "documenting additional merging rules".
Voting against the TMDM on the grounds that it does not have such a
mechanism is therefore totally inconsistent with your statement that
you merely wish to ensure that the power of the original is retained
in the restatement.

How are we to understand such an inconsistency?

Steve

--
Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>
Chief Strategy Officer, Ontopia