[sc34wg3] Documenting merging rules in TMDM

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:28:43 +0100

* Patrick Durusau

| As you say, the TMDM limits the values of X that I can talk about
| for both A and B, and it does not cover "X is true of A and Y is
| true of B."

* Steve Pepper

| Neither does it cover "X is true of both" for anything other than
|
|   X = (same name of same type) | (same occurrence of same type).

Actually, it also covers associations. Clause 7.5 says:

  Topics having unique topic characteristics are to be merged
  according to the procedure in 6.2 if:

    [...]

    each has an association role item whose [parent] property contains
    an association representing a unique topic characteristic where
    two such association items have equal values in their [type] and
    [scope] properties and where all association role items in their
    [roles] properties are equal, except for the two association role
    items that triggered the merging, which only need to be equal in
    their [type] properties.

| However, this is simply a generalization (and "optionalization") of
| the old topic naming constraint, which the majority of the committee
| wanted to do away with. It was never intended to cover arbitary
| merging rules, only those that correspond to OWL's "unique-property".

That's owl:InverseFunctionalProperty.