[sc34wg3] Documenting merging rules in TMDM

Dmitry sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:29:05 -0500

On Mar 13, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Steve Pepper wrote:

>   What does the TMDM need to do (if anything) in order to satisfy
>   the requirement to be able to document merging rules?
>
> Kal and Dmitry have both answered "nothing", because the job is
> better done by TMCL. I tend to agree with them. The US National
> Body, based on its comments in the ballot, seems to think that the
> TMDM needs to have this capability itself. Is that the case or
> is it not?

That's exactly my point. Subject indicator based merging is enough to
implement all
other types of merging. TMCL will require only one constraint -
haveSameSubject

Based on this constraint TM engine can generate subject indicator which
represents results of applying merging rule.
As soon as topics get new subject indicator they will be merged by
standard basic mechanism

Dmitry