[sc34wg3] Essence of the TMRM

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:25:19 -0400

Ann,

Ann Wrightson wrote:
> Patrick & all,
>
> This latest posting brings out v. clearly to me that one of the most
> difficult problems we must face this week-end is how we can compare models
> developed using radically different approaches, in our case
> formal/mathematical vs  philosophical/linguistic/rhetorical. Neither is
> necessarily good or bad, however comparison is difficult because from the
> point of view of either, the other will inevitably tend to be seen as
> missing the point rather than providing a reasonable alternative. To add to
> the difficulty, TMDM is based on yet another approach, from IT/engineering.

I don't find the "formal/mathematical vs.
philosophical/linguistic/rhetorical" distinction all that helpful.

What we need to isolate are the points made by the models, however we
would characterize the models. That will at least allow us to separate
the points made by the models from the manner in which they were made.

Granted that formal/mathematical expressions are useful, but they have
to start from underlying assumptions about what is to be expressed or
proved.

It is those points that I think we can extract and compare for purposes
of the reference model workshop.

Hope you have a great trip!

Patrick