[sc34wg3] And yet another...

sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:52:05 +0200

Hi Lars Marius,

Lars Marius wrote:

> ... snip ...
>
> | [TMRM relationship]
> |
> | That's what I meant. And the TMRM assertions always
> | reminded me of RDF
> | statements. And with the 4th element in the tuple you build
> | the bridge for reification.
>
> Right. I suppose the main difference is that quad statements
> are fixed-size, and that theirs are variable-size (since you
> can always throw in more roles and players). However, given
> that I represent each role assignment as a quad it could be
> argued that my associations are variable-sized, too. The
> difference is that I distinguish between occurrence/name
> assignments and associations, which TMRM and the Tau model do
> not do. Whether that's a strength or a weakness I'm not sure.

Hmmm, but when you make the distinction between your general quad model and
the application of the quad model to TMDM (= vocabulary of properties) more
explicit in your spec then your are very close to TMRM. Quad model is on the
same abstraction level as TMRM and the vocabulary defines the application.
So, you also "invented" a way to define application of your model, which is
- I think but I am not sure - still missing in TMRM.

I expect very exciting discussion in Montreal ... a pitty that I'll miss
that. But I wish you and the others a lot of fun and a productive meeting.

--Holger