[sc34wg3] Occurrences in the data model

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 05:50:59 -0500

Peter,

Peter Brown wrote:

> [...]

You raise an interesting point (which I address below) but I am not
certain that it is relevant to the question I was originally posing.

My original question concerned the failure of the data model to merge
two occurrences that have different parents but the same value. That
does not pose the problem of a spectrum of possible values.

> There is also a principle of economy to be considered: in a vary random
> or unevenly distributed set of values, the "discrimination" offered may
> vary wildly: whereas for one part of the spectrum, values of 21,22, 23
> might be enough to discriminate between different occurrences; at
> another part you might need values as fine as 1.113, 1.114, 1.115, etc.
>
> You can never know in advance how to model indiscrete values in a
> discrete manner...and it indeed makes assertions about equivalence well
> nigh impossible; do two people with ages of "23", "23 years and 1 day",
> and "22 years 11months and 27 days" all have the same age?

Hmmm, don't think I understand your point:

"know in advance how to model indiscrete values in a discrete manner"

Can you say a bit more about that? What I think I am missing is what you
mean by "model."

To illustrate what I may be missing, say I am the running the voter
registration office. In order to register to vote, voters must be of a
certain age, say 23. For my purposes, although we know "in fact" that it
will happen that people will come in on their 23rd birthday to register,
that it is also the case that people whose 23rd birthday has passed will
also come in to register. Despite the differences in ages, I simply
record 23 (or whatever the voters age) in my records. Close enough for
government work as they say in the US. ;-)

Doesn't that mean I have chosen the granularity at which I will be
modeling age, despite common knowledge that it is fairly imprecise?

Or did you mean something else?

(BTW, for voting purposes in the US, "23", "23 years and 1 day", are the
same age, but "22 years 11 months and 27 days" is not.)

> Would/Could it be useful to know whether the concept - however
> formulated - of scope helps here: can we state that we are interested in
> "documents with version numbers between 1 and 3"; or "items in the night
> sky between RA/DEC coordinates xy and x'y' " ? It seems that all the
> debate about facets/scope has looked (correctly) at the issue of an
> "axis" of interest, but not this problem of discrete and indiscrete
> values/ranges.

Actually I think it should be possible to specify merging rules that
deal with information along an axis of measurement. If a the subject of
a topic is anything I want to speak about, why can't I have a topic that
is all the parts (as represented by topics) that weigh less than 10
kilos? And expect to find all the information related to that subject at
that one topic?

Of course, this presumes that one does not have fixed, one size fits all
merging rules that operate in all cases, forcing authors to work around
whatever rules have been chosen as standard.

Not to mention that the merging rules I need may change depending upon
the nature of the information I need.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--