[sc34wg3] Comments on Tau model

Robert Barta sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:50:58 +1000

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 04:52:10PM +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> | You would surprised to hear that I choose a structure quite similar to
> | \tau assertions for my new Perl software. Not only is it amazing
> | memory effective, first experiments also show it is fast as hell as I
> | use only lists and lists of lists (Perl is rather efficient
> | thereby). And I have not even started to memoize critical functions.
>
> I'm not sure you could generalize this to say that this structure will
> be very efficient in other languages/systems and that it will be more
> effective than other structures that might be chosen.

No doubt that in other languages (completely) different structures may
be chosen. But since lists are intrinsic with Perl, choosing them is
fast.

> | Mathematically, merging (or more precise: the various flavors
> | thereof) is done with TMQL expressions.
>
> I guess that by "done" you mean "defined in the standard". I have no
> complaints with that.

Yes, "done" is "defined what they should do". When I finally let my
Perl stuff perform merging it does it with a builtin function and by
not executing TMQL (although it could).

\rho