[sc34wg3] Comments on Tau model

Robert Barta sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:06:47 +1000

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 09:45:24AM +0200, Jan Algermissen wrote:
> > infrastructure:
> >
> >    We need languages to write, modify, transform, constrain
> >    and query topic maps. These languages (preferable with a common
> >    set of concepts) is the 'infrastructure' I am talking about.
>
> Would you agree, that this is a secondary issue, since the infrastructure
> will just be defined in terms of the (using your term here) information model?
> (Like SQL is defined in terms of relational algebra)

Of course, they have to follow what happens in the information model!
Yes. This is more the 'tools' (not software, just languages).

> Just to make sure that I understand you correctly, by 'information model',
> do you mean
>
> - the structural abstraction of a data model (e.g. tables, trees...)
>
> or
>
> - the complete thing (information model == data model), including
>   structural abstraction operators, constraint-mechanisms

The complete thing. In the relational world I would add the
relational algebra (or a more modern version of it), in XML things
about trees (I admit, I would have defined XML different, retrospectively,
but so would probably many people :-)

> PS: Do you have a new version of /tau that you could send me?

A version is still under

  http://astma.it.bond.edu.au/junk/tau-model.pdf

\rho